Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Garth Nix

Being a night person, I do find getting up at 5 am difficult. I also do that thing where I wake up thinking I have missed the alarm when in fact it is still the middle of the night. I did that at 3.50 am, certain that Jeannie was knocking at the door. I went back to sleep, finally, and was ready for her when she came at 5.30, all set for a big day. We started with coffee at the Lindt Café (at least I had coffee, Jeannie and Sharon took advantage of their specialty and had a hot chocolate and a mocha) before walking up to the State Library to hand out name badges and direct people to tea and coffee.

The seminar was so very good. You can search twitter with the hashtag #ra2011 to read all about it. I learnt lots, got lots of ideas and then got to meet Garth Nix who was an entertaining speaker and lovely man. This isn't the best photo ever..... I think we're both better looking than that ;)


We finished around 4.30 and walked down to the Strand Arcade to make a little purchase at Haighs. We ran into Garth Nix there as well! T2 was the other important stop and I bought some Earl Grey, French Earl Grey and, on Sare's recommendation, some Melbourne breakfast. The extra box is for a friend. I take orders if any Wagga people are interested, I'm going back on the 5th of April.


Yesterday I bought two boxed sets of The Keys to the Kingdom series. One will be used as a prize at the library and the other one is for Toby (though I will read it first). Garth was so kind as to sign each of the fifteen books I set before him.


Despite coming home laden with goodies, I find that there are still some things I want, namely, all of these brooches.

5 comments:

  1. Just wondering - 2 boxed sets, 15 books? is one short a book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! No, an indication of why I am a librarian rather than an accountant. Can I pass it off as a typo?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered that too.

    Sounds like you had a great time. I always feel like it is a shame when I can't somehow pop down to say G'day for half an hour....

    Next time you are at T2, you should try out the "Licorice legs." Aniseed & peppermint works in ways I would never have thought!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy to continue doing Maths homework with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melbourne Breakfast was Josh's favourite for a while and then choc chip chai and in Summer Turkish Apple. Any chance of dinner with SB when you come up again? We can get you a place to stay and free airport transfers. Keen to chat. Love J

    ReplyDelete