Thursday, March 4, 2010

Retrotastic

Our Revisiting Retro Recipes event was so much fun. Around 50 people came to the library to remember/laugh at dinner party food of the 50s, 60s and 70s. I talked about the 50s and 60s and Sara spoke about the 70s and demonstrated the making of Coronation Chicken before we all got to taste it. Events like this take a fair bit of effort and I didn't get to take very many photos. Sara and I dressed up and Kristy took this photo in between making the porcupine and the asparagus rolls. We chose the position very carefully - two rubbish bins and a fire extinguisher.

I am very sorry that I didn't get a photo of Kristy who looked gorgeous in a retro black dress and pink cardie. The evening wouldn't have been nearly as much fun without her. She made this spectacular porcupine.


She purchased these nostalgic sweet treats.


And she assembled the asparagus rolls when I ran out of time.

I showed Andrew this photo that I took from the front a few minutes before we started. He exclaimed that there were only old ladies there! That is such an unfair exclamation as there were two children,two teenagers and at least ten people my age and younger. The children and teenagers were male and there were three whole adult males! I will admit that still leaves a lot of Nannas.


Sara did a brilliant job and may get a book deal out of it.


The Coronation chicken was a big hit and please note that all the floating cheese and pickled onion spikes were gone at this stage and by the end of the evening the orange was almost bare.

Margot videoed (not a real word, apparently) the whole thing so I'll let you know when it goes up on You Tube.

5 comments:

  1. I love it!Some friends and I did a retro food party and it was so much fun! Ahh yes coronation chicken-I still love it. You look very chic in that photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like SO much fun, and you look gorgeous! Still get served Coronation Chicken from time to time - what a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very retro! You and Sara look just like photos out of a 1950s Sunbeam appliance catalogue. I found one in a cupboard here recently. All aprons and set hair and nipped-in waisted dresses! Love it! Looks like a fun night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh...I forgot to mention how much I like the shoes you are wearing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was so much fun. The coronation chicken was surprisingly tasty (who knew?). Apparently my mother who told me they buy it in MOSMAN all the time. Goodness.

    ReplyDelete