Saturday, June 23, 2018

Free

With most holidays it's hard to find the balance between having a relaxing and flexible break and seeing and doing all that you are interested in. The trouble when you travel so very far for a holiday, is that you want to fit as much in as possible. Today we left open, with no bookings or firm plans, so that we could all do whatever took our fancy.

This is the garden outside our bedroom window. Despite being in a very busy area, we woke to birdsong along with the plane and car noises.


After a leisurely breakfast, we walked down to Earl's Court station, and loaded up some Oyster cards. It is such a strange thing, to be a grown person who understands the language, but has no idea how regular things work! It's like being a child again.

A very helpful man at the station sorted us out, and then we were free to explore. Andrew and the kids went straight to Oxford and Regent Streets for shopping, and I stayed on the Tube by myself, to go on to the Bank of England, where I had some old notes to exchange.

The Royal Exchange over the road from the Bank of England
I'm sure I looked silly, wandering around with a smile on my face, but it was such a delicious feeling, to be exploring on my own.

I joined the others and went to a three storey shop full of M&Ms (!) and a sweet shop that I could smell from down the street. Joss, Toby and Bethany all bought sweets and clothes, but as those things are available at home, I left them to it.


I caught the Tube again, feeling so clever, and found the Wallace Collection. This was recommended by my friend Stephen, whose grandmother had suggested it to him years ago. I was so glad I went.


It was a building full of the most fascinating, beautiful, sometimes really old artwork, furniture and armour. I loved it all, but was especially fascinated by the armour and weapons.


By three, the shoppers were all shopped out, and I was keen to relax for a bit before going out to meet a friend (I have a friend who lives in London!), so Andrew went on a solo trip back to Buckingham Palace, to enjoy it without the crowds, and the kids and I caught the Tube home.

Jess used to work with me at Wagga City Library, and she very kindly met me after work for dinner. It was the loveliest evening. I meant to take photos of the food for my friend Sara, but I was too busy talking and forgot!


Step count: 25,396.

1 comment:

  1. WOW, 25,396 steps of discovery! Used to catch the tube to work from Earls Court station, lived quite close by in Ifield Road. Seemed appropriate for an Aussie living in Kangaroo Alley, or was it Valley?

    ReplyDelete