Sunday, May 1, 2011

Mice and Mr Rochester

Mouse plague!


Oh, the joys of living in the country! These mice are less smelly than the other ones found inside the library, nibbling at our tea bags. The black cat appeared in the garage of the Civic Centre (which houses the library, art gallery and council) last year. The mice are new and are, sadly, a reflection of our current reality. On Friday night I was watching Jane Eyre on my laptop in bed (I know that most of you were watching something else but I just couldn't muster any interest in William and Kate) when I heard scurrying in the roof! Most people at work and church have mice problems and they are all over the roads at night, so I can't really complain.

I was watching, for the first time, the Jane Eyre from the 80s with Timothy Dalton. It was pretty true to the book and while I found the film quality a bit average, it was an enjoyable version. I also finished reading The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (I lent it to a friend when I was half way through a few weeks ago) and it reminded me that Mr Rochester is 38. Today I have turned 39 and and it just feels wrong to be older than Mr Rochester. Then I thought about Mr Knightley, who is my favourite Austen man, and he is only 37! This is not good!

2 comments:

  1. Your most favorite man (need I remind you) is over a year older than you and always will be :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I could add that I can't think of any "novel hero's" over 63!!!

    ReplyDelete