Friday, October 8, 2010

Reader of the week


As I have probably mentioned hundreds of times before, I put together a library page for the weekend edition of our local paper every fortnight. A regular section on that page is Reader of the Week. Silly name really seeing as the page only appears once every two weeks and I have to leave the section out entirely when I  forget to ask anyone can't find someone to fill in the form. I once had all three of my children as readers of the week at once but Jossie has been asking if she could do it by herself. I do try and make the reader of the week fit the article on the rest of the page so when it came time to promote our school holiday programme I finally gave Jossie the chance.

I promptly forgot all about it so we didn't even buy a copy of the paper. Luckily they have them at the library :)

Do email me if you would like to be in the Wagga newspaper. You don't have to be local. You just have to read. Once, when I was desperate, I rang someone in the council to ask if he would do it. He said that he hadn't read a book since school and asked if rugby league magazines count. Do they even have words in them?

I have just been to Sweden, finally reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I waited for a good while before putting my name on the reserves list. I think I went in as number 13. I do know how to put my name at the top but I don't rort the system ;) As I don't usually read crime I wasn't in a desperate hurry but I actually enjoyed it. I read for setting and found Sweden a fascinating place to go. I also read Dirt Music by Tim Winton for the first time (shame). I loved it, though I'm not as keen on books set in Australia. I also read for character and language and they are strengths of Mr Winton. Always one to have too many books on the go at once, I am reading A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole - one of the more controversial of our book club books. I have chuckled out loud several times but it isn't making me want to stay up all night. Little Dorrit, on the other hand, is delightful. If only I didn't have 38 more assignments to mark, washing to do, dog to walk, family to relate to....... I'd just read all day. Except for when I was watching DVDs. Have I banged on about Miranda yet? Such fun! I loved it.

3 comments:

  1. I'd be happy to be your reader anytime... I think I might qualify! NOT like books set in Australia? what about Cloudstreet? It is a modern classic - next you should try Jasper Jones - fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to be a reader some time too!

    If you ever want someone to highlight fantasy novels, you know I'm your man.... or theology too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there!
    I just blog hopped here, from.. I'm not sure where :) But I just had to comment on your reading list :)

    I just cracked open "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo", read "Dirt Music" a few years back and loved it; and finished "The Confederacy of Dunces" earlier this year. I found Dunces a long semi-entertaining read. I still can't figure out if I liked it or loathed it! I hope you enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete