Sunday, October 24, 2010

Dean Spanley

I have emerged from the thick fog of marking and am free again. My camera and my phone are being very unhelpful as neither has any new photos on it to share. I went to Sydney for work on Friday, made another batch of matcha and white chocolate friands yesterday to take to church and have been busy at work creating summer reading clubs for youth and adults. Looking for photos on istock is very amusing. I wanted a photo to put on the front of some bookmarks with suggestions of good reads in the fantasy genre. Typing fantasy into istock brings up a diverse range of photos ;) I did manage to find a great one for our youth summer reading club, the theme of which is zombies - Zombie Reading Club: Great Minds Taste Alike. The photo is on a drive at work but I'll share it with you later.
I marked the last assignment after bible study on Wednesday night leaving my day off free for relaxing! Actaually, I had to write a quick article for Public Library News and, as it was Margot's first day back at work after 5 weeks off, I thought I may as well go in to work and have coffee with her as well. I'm so pleased I did because it was great to see her back and also because a huge number of DVDs had come in including my own request, Dean Spanley.


Before a DVD can go on the shelves it needs to be catalogued, tagged and labelled but Lynn was so very sweet as to let me take it home first. So, while I had planned to read and make cake, I ended up watching a movie, and what a movie it was. I laughed, clapped with delight and sobbed my heart out. Laughter and tears do come easily to me and, seeing as I was on my own, I was able to respond fully, unrestrained by the presence of others (who can find my emotional outbursts embarrassing) but I think that this really is a moving film. It is quirky, a period piece and has Jeremy Northam in it so I was always going to love it. Mum recommended it to me and I'd love to know what anyone else thinks of it. You can borrrow it from Wagga City Library :) (as soon as I return it and it gets processed).
My pile of books to read has grown while I have been marking in every spare minute. I am part way through the JD Salinger biography and A Confederacy of Dunces (still) and Jeannie, my lovely new library friend and colleague, has lent me the second and third books in the Millennium series so I don't have to wait for library copies, as well as I Have a Bed Made of Buttermilk Pancakes by Jaclyn Moriarty but I have no room in my head for any book other than Little Dorrit. Like many classics it is long and dense, but unlike many, it is light, funny and so endearing. There are just under 800 pages of tiny print but I am absolutely loving it.
This week I'll have to come up with a theme and photo for the adult summer reading club. I don't much like the idea of picking a genre specific theme as that might put some readers off. I am thinking along the lines of relaxing reading....... any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. Completely agree about Dean Spanley, maybe we can start it going and it could become a "cult" classic along the lines of Harold and Maude....

    I pretty much find all reading relaxing, but I'll think of some titles for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't David Suchet the very ESSENCE of Poirot? Even though they aren't new, I love them anyway. The attention to detail is fantastic! and the fashions! spot on....

    ReplyDelete