Monday, September 20, 2010

Bethany's moment in the sun

As an eldest sibling I find it very easy to sympathise with Jossie. It is awful being told that, as the eldest, you ought to have known better. In my memory the youngest is always the golden child who gets to do things at a younger age than the elder siblings and is never in the wrong. I realise that is a gross exaggeration and not entirely true for Bethany. She is the baby, gets to do things earlier than Joss and Toby but she is quite often in the wrong (!) and feels like she misses out on a lot. She doesn't learn the piano yet so wasn't in the Eisteddod. Not being in Year 3 or Year 5 she didn't do her NAPLAN tests. So, when the others basked in glory and their parents' pride, the poor little pumpkin missed out.

It was very timely, therefore, that she received that last Well Done Card that lead to a third Merit Certificate that meant that we were invited to assembly to see her receive a Head of Junior School Award.


Andrew and I both managed to leave work to attend the assembly and were very proud of Bethany. We were also amused, as were all the other parents and teachers, as Bethany milked the moment for all it was worth.


Other children came up behind her to receive their awards but Bethany stood her ground, posing, hip out, showing everyone her award. Then she waved to her fans. She wants to be a vet when she grows up but I think a career on the stage is a strong possibility.

On Sunday Quiz Worx came and took Kids' Church. At the end they played a fabulous game they called Bungee. The children all had to chant "Bungee, bungee, bungee!" and the two loudest were chosen to come out the front, answer a question from the Bible talk and do a horizontal bungee run to grab a biscuit. A game that plays to Bethany's strengths.


Oh yes, she was among the loudest.


She answered the question correctly.


And, though Lexi is in year 3 and she is only in kindy, Bethany grabbed the biscuit.

I have had such a long day today. I got to work at 8.30am, left at 6.15 to go to the Historical Society board meeting followed by the AGM. I finally got home at 8.45 not having had dinner. I'm not a person who can skip a meal so I cooked myself dinner while I packed Toby's bag. Tomorrow he is off on his first overnight school excursion. Year Three are going to Borambola which is a sport and recreation centre half an hour out of town. I am pleased that it isn't far because it means that they leave school at a decent hour. Having done a 12 hour work day today I would not be impressed with having to be at school at 6am. 8.30 will do nicely. Kirsty is bringing gluten free sponge cake too :) Yay for Kristy!

I have decided that I will go the the school reunion. A lot of people have told me that they had bad experiences with reunions but I couldn't pass up an opportunity to see Janice and Sarah, it has been far too long. Now, to work out how I'm going to get there and where I'm going to stay........

7 comments:

  1. Gross exaggeration Amy. ;)
    The youngest rarely gets anything new!
    The bungee doesn't look too safe from what I can see... looks like fun though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gross exaggeration? Amy? huh? ....never...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on Bethany! Yes, I do think a career on the stage could be in order for her. Hope Toby had a great time - I remember when Jossie went, she certainly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good stuff.

    Hey! The guy running the Quizworx thing is Danny Cooke. I went to college with him! He's a champion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. do you think Bethany and Jack could be in an all singing all dancing double act powered by biscuits?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite a week for you all. Congrats to everyone, especially Bethy, she's a star. As an oldest sibling I can attest to the perception that the youngest gets the best deal - just think we all know a lot more by then and realise that eating dirt doesn't kill you! Amy, glad you're going to the reunion , I've enjoyed all the ones I've been to. I gather the girls ones are a little different, but even so you only need to catch up with those that you want to. Enjoy the moment - I bet you'll wish that there was more time! Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems Bethany is indeed at home in front of a crowd! Bill and I chuckled :-) I hope you enjoy your school reunion.

    ReplyDelete