Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Triple-layer Chocolate Cake

Jossie has been getting lots of use from the crimper and straightener Mum and Dad bought her for Christmas. Back to the 80s.........


We had some friends over for lunch after church on Sunday and I took the opportunity to make something that caught my eye from the Delicious Sweet cookbook Mim gave me for my birthday. All the women who ate it were in raptures and I highly recommend the book.


Triple-layer Chocolate Cake
Serves 8. Begin this recipe a day ahead.
4 eggs
100g caster sugar
1/2 cup (75g) self-raising flour
1/4 cup (25g) cocoa
1/3 cup (80ml) milk
1 tbs each Kahlua and honey
Filling
100ml pure (thin) cream
110g good quality dark chocolate (I only used 100g)
225 g white chocolate (I only used 200g - if I opened another block, I'd only eat the rest)
600 ml thickened cream
Icing
200 g good quality dark chocolate
1/3 cup (80ml) thickened cream     (I only made half of this)

Preheat oven to 170C. Grease a 23cm springform tin and line the base.
Beat eggs and sugar in an electric mixer on high for 5 mins until thick and pale. Sift flour and cocoa together, then fold into egg mixture. Spoon into the pan and bake for 30 mins or until cooked. Cool in the pan for 5 mins then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
Stir the milk, Kahlua and honey in a pan over low heat for 2-3 mins until combined. Set aside.
Clean cake tin and line with plastic wrap ensuring there is plenty of overhang. Split the cake into 2 and place one round into the tin and brush with half the Kahlua syrup.
For the filling place one third of the pure cream in a bowl and the remainder in a separate bowl. Add dark chocolate to the first bowl and white chocolate to the second. Melt on medium in the microwave, stirring until smooth. Whip thickened cream to firm peaks. Carefully add a third to the drk chocolate mixture and the rest to the white mixture, stirring to combine.
Spread half the white filling over the cake case, then all the dark filling, then remaining white filling - chilling for 10 mins between each layer to firm up. Top with remaining cake and brush with remaining syrup. Cover with overhanging plastic wrap and chill overnight.
For the icing, melt chocolate and cream gently in the microwave and let cool. Remove cake from tin by releasing the sides. Place on the serving plate, leaving the plastic wrap behind - I picked it up with two spatulas. Spread icing over the top and dig in.

There was a bit left after lunch so I took it to my evening shift on Monday and scoffed it with Kate and Shell. It was just what we needed to get us through the end of a long day.

3 comments:

  1. WOW! Makes me almost wish I'd worked the evening shift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks fabulous. Kahlua-I think that would make anything taste good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very impressive looking cake I must say! And lol at the crimping, for a moment, I thought we were back in the 80s! :D

    ReplyDelete