Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Melbourne Cup Day Fun

Unlike my brother and sister-in-law who had the foresight to move to Melbourne, we had to go to work on Melbourne Cup Day. As usual, Kristy inspired us to get frocked up and have a little fun with it.


I wanted to get people to pose a little better but they were watching the actual race which is a bit boring of them really.


Like most workplaces in Australia we had sweeps running. Most of us had a fistful of horse names like Kelly. I had one for each member of the family plus two more and none were winners :( Andrew's horse obligingly came last, earning two dollars. I ought to have brought that home and given it to Andrew but I confess that it went into my coffee money box.


All that fuss for a horse race!


Today I stayed home with Tobes as he needed to go to the doctor to see about his cough. Hayfever is so bad at the moment that we were worried he might get asthma. Thankfully he just has a sinus infection and greatly appreciated a day off as he wasn't actually feeling unwell. Here he is enjoying a milkshake while we waited for his prescription to be filled. The book didn't fit into my handbag and was necessary for the doctor's surgery in case of a long wait. I didn't read it while we drank our coffee and milkshake, we talked. Toby told me that he and Callum both want to be policemen when they grow up. Toby is also considering astronomy, archeology and bakery....... time will tell.


Tomorrow I am going to attempt wedding and Christmas cake cooking. I have four tins to line, which will probably take all day (not a gross exaggeration), and the biggest of the cakes takes over 4 hours to cook! Can I do more than one at a time? Should I attempt to mix all the ingredients in one go? Mistakes would be demoralising, not to mention very expensive.
Only a few days to go until my 20 year school reunion. I am certainly looking forward to a day away in Sydney. I wonder if we could squeeze in high tea before the reunion? I will have to ask Andrew to record Spooks for me. Last Saturday's episode was very exciting. Do you think Malcolm has really left? I love the fact that Spooks is gritty and real, for all that it is fiction. When you watch Star Trek and a character you have never seen before is invited on an away mission you know straight away that he or she is going to die. With Spooks I am constantly surprised by the characters and they do away with them when least expected. I do hope the reunion is worth missing Spooks for........

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great Melbourne cup day... one of these years I will actually do something for it LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Granny, Roger and I had a good Cup day - oysters, prawns and a glass of champagne - plus I backed (each way) Maluckyday who came second!

    Spooks is also on Austar - not sure where they are up to, sometimes it's ahead of the ABC - I like it, but do find it frightening, because you really don't know what is going to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cup day is such fun with you! LOve the photo of us with Carol where we are looking in totally different directions. Hope Tobes gets better - the pollen count is HUGE! And do do high tea. Just in case the food at the reunion is erky. Have fun. K

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look great! Oooh you're reading Girl who Played with Fire! What do you think of it? I'm quite obsessed with the series!

    ReplyDelete