Tuesday, July 17, 2018

France celebrates

So, France won. We are staying in an apartment, in a residential area, and we could hear everyone else watching the match, and then, though we could hardly imagine it getting rowdier outside, everything erupted! Much, much celebrating on the streets, with firecrackers going off, car and motorbike engines being revved and horns sounded without ceasing. People danced, sang, and cheered. Cars piled up with people hanging out of every window, the sunroof, and even the boot.



Joss was meeting her Italian friend, who arrived in Paris just hours before. I took her down to the train station, so we got to experience the joy and madness.


This morning, the streets were almost deserted, except for a fair bit of rubbish. Today was our last full day in Paris, and it was not spent together. We woke early and I waved everyone else off at the train station as they set off for Joss' birthday choice - Disneyland.

I started walking (as fast as I wanted!) and enjoyed the sights as I made my way to the Musée de l'Orangerie.


As I wrote yesterday, I don't really like taking photos of paintings, and these enormous paintings, especially, I cannot capture, but just to prove that I went.....


I reached 10,000 steps before 10.30am, and just kept walking. The weather was just right for it; cool and overcast.


It looks dark here, which it wasn't, but the clouds were spectacular.


Approximately five bajillion people were lined up to go inside Notre Dame. Thankfully, I have been in before.



These photos were taken at the same time, just with the light focused on a different spot.


It even tried to rain for a little while, though it only managed a few drops.

20,000 steps later, and I was back in Montmartre. After doing some washing, I walked up to the Sacre Coeur again. The afternoon had turned sunny and very hot.



Tomorrow we go to a country none of us has ever visited before, for the final three nights of our holiday (not counting the endless night that will be our many flights home). We're off to Florence, and my book and movie reference is A Room With a View.


4 comments:

  1. well You filled your day with things that delight you, so good for the soul. I can just imagine what you will think of Florence, such a beautiful city. Enjoy the gelato, I wonder if you’ll be able to keep it to just one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post, a day to yourself was probably well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so enjoying the recounts of your time OS. What memorable experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Florence is my favourite Italian city. You will love it. If you can, visit the Uffizi Gallery. I think you have to book in advance. Well worth it. A photo in the Ponte Vecchio is a must as is a gelato and a leather bag/shoes/coat!! At least get a pair of leather gloves!

    ReplyDelete