Friday, June 3, 2016

One Book One Wagga

The One Book One Wagga Gala Dinner was held last week; a whole week ago already! After stepping in last minute two years ago, and then being asked to do it last year with a book I didn't love (I didn't even blog about it!), I was thrilled to be asked to host a conversation with Sofie Laguna, Miles Franklin award winning author of The Eye of the Sheep.

There's a fair bit of work involved; I read the book twice, read her other novel for adults, and came up with questions to ask, hopefully in a logical, flowing order (follow the links to see my reviews of the books). Once that is all sorted and I feel prepared, I am pretty happy to just sit on stage and chat. Sofie made that so easy, she really is delightful. We had a great discussion about the situation for female writers, the push for everyone to be normal, the tough themes in her book, like domestic violence and the really important stuff like which is best, Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights (she hedged her bets on that one but promised to read Jane Eyre again).


As you can see below, we had much to say even when we weren't on stage!


It was a great night and there was a lot of positive feedback. Well done to Wagga City Library. I wonder what book we'll do next year!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations - wish we could have been there to see you do the interview! Next year?

    ReplyDelete