Sunday, January 16, 2011

Wedding cake

Back in October I spent a day and a half making three layers of wedding cake and my Christmas cake. The Christmas cake has just two pieces left and, on Saturday, the wedding cake was called into action. Baking, within reason, is something that I can do. Icing, however, is new and scary territory. Thankfully, the bride is a young, creative, arty sort of girl who didn't particularly want a pristine cake.


After Liz had shown me food dye stamping I thought that maybe I could introduce some stamping into this project. I didn't bother with food dye as the board wasn't to be eaten and the cake didn't touch it (each layer was on its own board). I don't have this stamp set yet so I borrowed it from Liz, it is Elements of Style.


Thanks to Nigella for the tip about the baking paper strips to protect the board.


I'm so glad Mim was here to help.


We tried minimal ribbon at first. Mim really wanted to put flowers on but I wanted to keep it modern and simple (I also didn't want to go to the florist - I was hot and very anxious to get the cake delivered!)


In the end we went for ribbon on all layers, including a thin layer around the board. Transporting it was very tricky. It weighed a ton and couldn't be touched anywhere! It was so very hot and when we arrived at the Riverine Club the top two layers had slipped. I did my best with them, placed it as well as I could on the table and hoped that in the hours remaining before the reception that it would set and not melt into a puddle. I left it like this and gratefully walked away!


The Riverine Club is where Mim had her reception last year. So elegant and old worldy.


It was terribly hot in the church but the wedding was beautiful. The six men take up so much more space than the same number of women!


Bethany was so enamoured of the bridal party that she didn't want to leave. Her favourite part was the kiss!

3 comments:

  1. Wow - job well done with the cake. Love the red ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, the cake looks AMAZING! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bethany was so enamoured of the bridal party that she didn't want to leave. Her favourite part was the kiss! womens Bridal ring Sets

    ReplyDelete