Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Handmade

Watching the news at the moment it seems that all the parts of Australia that aren't under water are on fire. We're praying for all of those affected. It's one of those odd things that while so many people are struggling in extreme conditions, others are just going about their normal lives. Not that we are completely back to normal as we are all still on holidays. We are finding ourselves staying up very late and sleeping in every day. It will mean a rather nasty Monday morning for me when I get up  early, ride to work in the heat and do my ten hour work day. So, I'm not thinking about that yet.... it's ages away.

According to Facebook, 2011 is the year to pay it forward. Did you see that film? I vaguely recall seeing it. I don't think I liked it all that much but I definitely like the idea. I was one of the first five people to comment on Sarah's status so she is going to send me something she has made. I'm not certain it was entirely fair of me to comment as I already own a few lovely items made by Sarah but I couldn't resist. The deal is that I had to post the same status for myself and send five people something that I have made. Being one of the least crafty people I know, this would have meant, a few months ago, that I would be sending food. I made this chocolate pavlova on the weekend - not exactly easy to send.


Thankfully, my new obsession hobby is Stampin' Up so I have something much better to send. I am enjoying the stamping more than I could have imagined. We had our first stamp club meeting last night. Stamp club is a bit different to the regular workshops because the same six of us attend each month and we are building our skills so Liz doesn't need to cover the basics each time. Last night we did cracked glass embossing. You may need to click on the photo to see the effect (it's on the flowery bit).


Even if my new hobby qualifies as crafty, I am still lacking significantly in creativity. The great thing about Stampin' Up is that the catalogue is also an ideas book with lots of projects to copy be inspired by. Also, if you put Stampin' Up and the name of your stamp set into Google, you find lots and lots of great options. This set is called Pendant Park and I really love the tree. 


This set is Birthday Bakery (way to combine two great loves!)


I think there need to be more book stamps as reading is my favourite hobby of all. I have just started George Orwell's 1984. Can you believe that I have never read it? I am loving it so far but then I am predisposed to do so because I read a great biography of Orwell and Evelyn Waugh, called The Same Man. It was brilliant. Now, as it is almost half past ten in the morning, I may go and get out of my pyjamas.

5 comments:

  1. I think I would be very likely to enjoy (be obsessed by)Stampin' Up. Can you and Liz pleeeaaaase move to Molong?! And can you bring the chocolate pavlova? I'll make the tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been watching the floods and thinking of you and your family. So glad you are all safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read Orwell/Waugh biography... do you recall who wrote it? Is it still in print? I would love to read it.... LOVE your new obsession!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Stamp Club" is it at all like "Fight club?"

    1984 is good value, though it would be close to 20 years since I last read it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your cards! I will have to make some of those Birthday bakery ones - so very classy! I loved 1984 in highschool.......but I remember being somewhat disturbed by it!
    @Mim - we can have an impromptu workshop anytime you're in town! And you can join in by "correspondence" if you like!

    ReplyDelete