Sunday, June 20, 2010

Weekends

Coming home from Parramatta knowing that a long weekend stretched before me was so delightful. How I wish we had long weekends every week! There was no Saturday sport (a very good start, though Toby was unimpressed) and there was plenty of time to get things done and relax as well. After church on Sunday we went to the Ks' for lunch. Bethany had such a good time dressing up.


I could have taken photos of her all afternoon :)


On Monday afternoon we went to the Halbisch's and had a long, lazy afternoon tea that turned into dinner. It was such a lovely thing to do and it's a terrible shame that most of our weekends are too full of sport, washing, ironing and cooking to do it regularly.

Of course, missing out on my longest day did make the rest of the working week rather frantic. I had lunch with a friend on Wednesday at Mates Gully. The risotto was delicious as was this coffee.


Friday was open day at the children's school. I left work early (I had time up my sleeve having given an evening talk to the Family History Society on Wednesday) to go to assembly. Bethany's handiwork was in the foyer of the assembly hall. I love how she writes so boldly and then runs out of space.


In year 3 all students learn the violin and they gave a performance at the assembly. Toby is third from the left in the back row, perhaps because there isn't much love left over for the violin after all his piano practice.


The violin was just a bonus anyway as the real reason Andrew and I left work early was to see Toby receive his Head of Junior School award. Five well done cards equal a merit award and three merit awards equal a Head of Junior School award.


There were activities all afternoon but we skipped off to soccer practice before rugging up and coming back to school for the fireworks. I was expecting sausages for dinner but the excellent canteen lady had organised lots of options for us. Joss and Bethany had Thai pumpkin soup with garlic bread, Andrew and I had butter chicken and Toby had hot chips. I even got sticky toffee pudding for dessert :)


The kids all ran off with their friends. The glow stick pictured above spilled its contents in Bethany's bed a couple of hours after this photo was taken. Bethany's pyjamas, sheets and hands all glowed.


I wasn't expecting much from the fireworks but they were spectacular. I know the photo isn't spectacular but it pleases me somehow. It was a lovely night, topped off with a bit of Miss Marple. Thankfully I had already seen it as I had to make a birthday cake for a friend. One of the things I love about English television is seeing actors I know from other productions. How cool was it to see Julian Sands from A Room With a View in Miss Marple?
The rest of the weekend was really all sport, children's parties, church and washing. Poirot is on tonight and I don't care if looking forward to that makes me boring.

4 comments:

  1. You are SO GOOD at remembering where you've seen actors before - I knew I knew him, but couldn't think of where - thanks! Sounds like a lovely weekend.... Congratulations to Toby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe I remember Julian Sands! But yes he hasn't popped anywhere that I have seen lately! Good spotting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a busy long weekend on almost the lonest night of the year! Congratulations Toby, well done on your award - may there be many more!
    Love Dad, aka Bop

    Woops, that should have been longest!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are we ever going to see your blog again?

    ReplyDelete