Sunday, March 6, 2011

Jane Eyre

 I am a very enthusiastic person, high spirited and emotional. When I saw a Jane Eyre DVD that I didn't know existed I spent the next couple of hours at work in an excitable state about it. Jane Eyre, you see, is one of my favourite books. Like most women I love Jane Austen books, for the manners, the wit and, of course, the romance. Jane Eyre, however, is different because it isn't about the fact that Jane is not of the same class as Mr Rochester, that hardly features at all, but that he isn't free to marry her and despite her great love for him, she chooses to do what she knows is right, despite every attempt on his part to make her choose their immediate happiness. It is a far more passionate tale than any Austen one and in the end he repents and they are able to be together. Sigh.

The version was this one with Ciarán Hinds and Samantha Morton. I knew that, as a movie length version, it would have huge chunks cut out of the story but as Ciarán Hinds plays Captain Wentworth in the older version of Persuasion, I knew I could love him as Mr Rochester. If I hadn't read the book I'm sure I wouldn't like this version, with so much left out I had to fill in a lot of details in my head but I did like this enough to watch it twice. It was especially good to see Rupert Penry-Jones (he plays Captain Wentworth in the later version of Persuasion) as St John. The latest, mini-series version with Toby Stephens  and Ruth Wilson remains my favourite. It may even be the best BBC version of any classic despite the fact that Toby Stephens is really too young and good looking to play Mr Rochester. 


Yesterday Megan, Liz and I took our cards to our first markets. The PCYC is not the prettiest venue and the Baby Bazaar was more about secondhand baby clothes, toys and furniture but we sold quite a few cards and learnt a lot.




Andrew went for a long ride with friends so the kids came to the market with me. They weren't terribly impressed but Bethany did, at least, get her face painted.


Now the weekend is almost over. I am looking forward to my trip to Sydney but when Sarah asked if I was staying the night it made me realise that I could have - I don't work on Thursdays! Next time..... As it is, I am doing the looong day. We need to be at the airport at 6am and don't get back until at least 8pm. There are three of us going up and I have told my friend Jeannie that I can't sit with her because she gets airsick! That's mean isn't it? I'll report back with details of meeting Garth Nix (you should overcome your prejudice Mum and give fantasy a go) and my purchases at T2 and Haighs.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I still think the BBC series of Pride and Prejudice (which brought Colin Firth into our lives) is probably the best "adaption" I've seen, though I did love Jane Eyre with Toby Stevens. Will look forward to seeing your "new" movie when I see you! You'll have to work hard to get me to read fantasy (though of course, all fiction is fantasy) - too many other books to read! Hope he is as nice in person as he appears through the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that picture of Bethany, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a new 're-imaging' of JE with a sinister, almost horror feel...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8J6Cjn06kA

    ReplyDelete