Monday, September 13, 2010

Catching up...again

How tiresome it is to have to catch up. So many things I was going to blog about when I had to mark assignments in every spare moment. Now, busy at work and at home I find myself putting it off because it will take too long. So, a mini catch up. My camera is at work, anyway, so I only have photos from my phone.


Bethany discovered her game of Headbanz and we all had fun playing it.


It was History Week last week and my event was a walking tour of Wagga's historic buildings. I decided that 30 was the cut off as we would all have to cross the road together and they would have to gather around to listen to me rabbit on about people and places. All the places were filled very early so we had to turn away lots of people and took 25 names in reserve in case anyone cancelled. Then, the local paper decided to put in an ad and changed the words "bookings essential" to "bookings not required" and we ended up with 60 people. Crossing busy roads was a bit hairy and every time we stopped for me to talk, I had to find a high place to stand.


It was lots of fun and a low effort event for me to put on. I might do it again. We ended up back at the library for tea and scones. Thankfully, not everyone ate as I only ordered 30 scones. It took all my will power to resist as I adore scones (as a vehicle for jam and cream) but Andrew and I are on a two month trial of gluten free living..... sigh.

Now that History Week is over we are on to the next event..... Get Reading! Get Reading is a national initiative and this year they are holding outdoor reading rooms in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne and Wagga Wagga. Tomorrow morning I have to be at the library at 7am to let everyone in. ABC Radio are going to broadcast from the library from 9 - 11am tomorrow and Judy Nunn is coming (she is a very popular author). Free coffee, free wi-fi, free kids' activities and cool furniture to sit and read in. It's going to be lots of fun! Do pop in if you are in Wagga tomorrow or Wednesday.....


Back to the catch up and last Thursday was spent at the Wagga Eisteddfod. Toby played three times in the morning session. He was very nervous but his duet partner was not and she helped him really enjoy himself.  They came first in their section and then Toby came first in his solo.


Two trophies make for a very good day. I took photos of Jossie too, who played in the afternoon, but on my camera, not my phone. Joss played really well but didn't win anything. She is thinking of taking up the bassoon.....
What I am watching: The new series of Midsomer Murders, Wide Sargasso Sea (I didn't enjoy this terribly much as the characters are very sympathetic - not the Mr Rochester I love from Jane Eyre) and Man Versus Wild (Actually, I only listen to this as I cannot watch him eat that stuff).
What I am reading: I just finished A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian which was reasonable. It seemed like old ground for me, hough I'm not sure what it reminded me of. Now I am reading J.D Salinger: A Life Raised High by Kenneth Slawenski and, finally, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (I have been on the reserve list for ages!) Now, to bed as I need to set off on my bike just after six tomorrow morning, what fun.

4 comments:

  1. So good to have you back and a catch up - must chat sometime soon. love J

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to hear from you - and so pleased you didn't much like "Tractors" - it was dirivative (not sure how to spell that) all the way through.... it probably reminded you of lots of not too good books....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Toby! What a great achievement.

    I always feel tired just reading about what you are all up to... and then I remember I have 3 kids now so this will be us in a couple of years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photo of toby and his duet partner. Welcome back. And the tractor book was..well strange. I think it was supposed to be funny but it just depressed me. And then I read her next book...

    ReplyDelete