Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Sour Cherry Cake


As some of you will know, I'm not eating cake at the moment. It is hard to believe and even harder to do, but not as hard as moderation which I just cannot seem to master. Despite the fact that I am not partaking, I still really enjoy baking and there are so many things I want to make. Thankfully, Andrew's workmates are more than happy to receive baked goods so I have an outlet. I really wanted to make this chocolate cherry cake that I came across in the ultimate chocolate cake recipe round up. Sadly, I ran out of fairtrade chocolate (!) so I made a rum-scented sour cherry cake instead.

I sound like a broken record at the moment but the original recipe for this came from Not Quite Nigella . I changed the size of the cake and a few other things so I'll give you the recipe I used.

Cake
150 unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon rum
1 2/3 cup wholemeal flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
icing sugar for dusting
Topping
1 jar sour cherries (680g or 350g drained)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon demerara sugar
  1. Cream butter and sugar then add eggs one at a time, beating until combined. Add rum.
  2. Stir in flour and baking powder then scrape into a 22cm (8") lined springform tin.
3.Press cherries into the cake batter.

4. Sprinkle with cinnamon then demerara sugar for crunch.

5. Bake in a moderate oven for 50 mins or until a cake tester comes out clean.
6.After 10 minutes take out of the tin and cool on a rack.

7. Dust with icing sugar and serve (or photograph a slice then put it back and send it to work with your husband).


No comments:

Post a Comment